The festive season is upon us. You (might!) be going to parties, gatherings, or your work’s Christmas do.
Those things usually involve *small talk*.
Honestly, I’m not a fan. I hate talking about the weather, my work, or the news with someone I’ve just met. I dread the moment they turn to me and ask, “how are you?” or, “so what do you do?”. 😳
It feels like such a WASTED opportunity for connection.
So I’ve been on a mission to find better, more meaningful ways to spark conversation that take people by surprise and create deep chats with strangers—without freaking them out. 😂
Today, I’m sharing my favourite questions with you.
(You can also use these with people you already know. I’ve been doing this and it’s revealed so much goodness about my loved ones! ✨)
Here are my top 10 small-talk-avoidance questions:
- What are you passionate about right now?
- Anything you’re obsessed with at the moment?
- What makes you feel most alive?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- Do you have any hidden talents?
- What do you like to do for fun?
- When do you feel most like “yourself”?
- What’s been the highlight of your day so far?
- What energises you?
- Did anything make you smile today?
If it feels too awkward to ask these, preface it by saying something like, “instead of asking you what you do for a living like I normally would, let’s try something different”.
Be bold, give it a shot, and see if it changes the types of convos you get into.
Here’s to eradicting small talk!