Want to stand out from the crowd in your industry? Start sharing your story! Use these 101 quick and easy storytelling prompts to jazz up your marketing and turn your audience into customers for life.
I’ll admit – I’m super nosy. Aren’t you?
When I find a teacher, company, or brand I really admire, I wanna know everything about them:
- How did they get started?
- What do they do in their spare time?
- Have they got any weird habits?
- Do they have cute pets?
- Will Google show me any pics of said pets?
This curiosity is totally natural (…I think).
We might think our customers don’t really care what we ate for lunch or what we’re binge-watching on Netflix, but they do.
Because we all like to know little details about people’s lives.
Hence why my yoga business mentor Lara taught me to tell more stories in my marketing.
She explained that customers are nosy.
Sharing more of yourself makes them feel connected to you, which in turn helps you to build meaningful, lasting, and profitable relationships with your customers.
Plus, it helps you to stand out from the crowd. Instead of a blank face in a sea full of samesies, you become the health coach who dances salsa on the weekends, the Reiki healer who has the cutest pup ever, or the writer who can’t survive without yoga (guilty).
Winner, winner, vegan chick’n dinner!
Here are 101 questions to help you build a huge repertoire of stories you can weave into your marketing (e.g. on social media or your email newsletter) to help you instantly build more trust with your customers.
Note: bookmark this post so you can come back to the questions whenever you need to, or download a PDF version below.
101 Storytelling Prompts
- What motivates you?
- What makes you happy?
- Do you have any guilty pleasures?
- Got a life motto?
- Is there a story behind your name?
- Do you have a nickname?
- If you could change your name, what would it be?
- In an ideal future, what would the world be like?
- How would you fix the world?
- What did you want to be when you were a child?
- Best compliment you ever received?
- What are you most grateful for?
- How well do you perform under pressure?
- How do you respond to criticism?
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
- Do you have a method for making decisions?
- Ever failed at something?
- Have you ever succeeded when you thought you might fail?
- Do you have any secret obsessions?
- What annoys you the most?
- What are your fears and phobias?
- Do you have any superstitions?
- Is there a mistake you keep repeating in your life?
- Have you ever broken the law?
- What’s the scariest thing that ever happened to you?
- Ever experienced a weird coincidence?
- Do you have any secret life-long dreams?
- Think you have a calling?
- What are your hidden talents?
- What was the first job you had?
- Best job you ever had?
- Worst job you ever had?
- If you had five more lives to live, what jobs would you do in them?
- Have you ever won an award?
- If you had a spirit animal, what would it be?
- Who are your heroes?
- Ever met one of your heroes?
- Has a teacher ever changed your life?
- What’s the best advice you ever received?
- Who are you inspired by on a daily basis?
- If you had to start your own business, what would you pick?
- What are the most meaningful relationships in your life?
- If you had to pick a movie character as your BFF, who would it be?
- Who would play you in a movie about your life?
- Do you have a favourite TV show?
- Do you make new year’s resolutions?
- What’s on your bucket list?
- If you only had 12 hours left to live, what would you do?
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
- If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
- Do you like to spend time in nature?
- Best place you’ve ever visited?
- Worst place you’ve ever visited?
- If you had to live in another country, which would you choose?
- What would your fantasy world look like?
- Got a personal theme song?
- What’s your go-to karaoke song?
- If you had to play a musical instrument, which would you choose?
- What would be the name of your band?
- Do you believe in magic?
- Have you ever had a spiritual or out-of-body experience?
- Has anything ever happened to you which you can’t explain?
- What does your morning ritual look like?
- What does your evening ritual look like?
- How do you relieve stress?
- Got any bad habits?
- Have you quit any bad habits?
- Is there anything you used to hate, but now you like it?
- Any household tasks you really hate?
- Any household tasks you secretly enjoy?
- Do you have a pet?
- Did you have a pet as a child?
- Have you read any good books lately?
- If you wrote your memoir, what would you call it?
- Do you have a favourite word?
- What’s your favourite movie of all time?
- Do you have a favourite food?
- Have you ever had a really memorable meal?
- What’s your go-to comfort food?
- Is there a particular food that’s always in your fridge?
- Do you have a signature dish that you love to cook?
- What are your ‘food rules’?
- How do you feel about technology?
- If social media didn’t exist, would your life be different?
- Have you ever had to make a difficult apology?
- Did you have a high school sweetheart?
- Have you ever been in love?
- Ever had your heart broken?
- Is there a past romantic partner you would come back to haunt?
- What’s the craziest dream you ever experienced?
- Are there any possessions you really treasure?
- What would you love to try?
- Is there anything in your life that feels unfinished?
- Got any deep life lessons you’ve learned?
- What would you say to your 18-year-old self?
- How do you get your best ideas?
- Have you ever been stuck in a rut and got out of it?
- What work went into reaching your most challenging goals?
- What legacy would you love to leave behind?
- Is there anything you want to be extraordinary at?
- If you only had one piece of advice to share with the world, what would it be?