Be there. Be open. Be honest. Be kind. Be willing to listen, understand, accept, support, and forgive. This is what it means to love – Lori Deschene
Want to open your heart to love’s bliss?
When our heart chakra – which is located right in the centre of our chest – is balanced, we flow with love and compassion.
We feel totally open and accepting.
When it’s not, we might experience anger, jealousy, or even hatred towards ourselves and others.
Our heart chakra is our direct connection to lurrrve.
Opening up this chakra is essential if we wanna have happy, healthy relationships (both with ourselves, and with other people).
Healing the heart chakra
The heart chakra (anahata in Sanskrit) is associated with love, compassion, empathy, and forgiveness.
When we feel emotional pain – especially in our relationships – we’ll often physically feel it in our heart area.
By letting go of resentment, forgiving where we need to, and being kind to ourselves, we can keep our chakra healthy and balanced.
We can also:
- Chant (the mantra associated with the heart chakra is YUM)
- Try colour therapy (the colour associated with the heart chakra is green)
- Use crystals (the crystals associated with the heart chakra are emerald, jade, and rose quartz)
When I focus on healing my heart chakra, I like to burn green candles and incense sticks. I also meditate using the technique below, whilst holding a rose quartz crystal.
Heart chakra meditation practice
If you haven’t meditated before, check out The Ultimate Guide To Meditation For Beginners to get started.
In this practice, we’ll be connecting to our heart chakra, opening ourselves up to love, and practicing kindness towards ourselves and others.
This meditation helps us notice whether we’re holding on to pain in our hearts.
It’s perfect for when we’re feeling disconnected from ourselves, other people, or even the world around us.
Here’s how to do it
Download the guided version of this meditation from my meditation library.
1. Sit in a comfortable position, set a timer for 5 minutes (or longer, if you like), and close your eyes or lower your gaze.
2. Start to focus on your breath. Notice if there’s any emotional pain present. Consciously set the intention to let this go.
3. Place your hand near your chest, slightly away from your body. Connect to this energy centre by moving your hand in a clockwise motion seven times, then make a gesture to remove all that’s blocking you, as if you’re throwing bad energy in the trash. Repeat three times.
4. Visualise a ball of green light, in front of your heart chakra. Imagine it entering your body at the centre of your chest, and gently filling your body with love, compassion, and kindness.
5. Affirm, “I am love. I am kind to myself and others. I forgive, and I let go.” Continue to affirm and feel the glowing green light pulsing through your body, until your practice ends.
Bonus tip: repeat the affirmation throughout your day, especially when you feel lonely, self-critical, or disconnected from other people.