Don’t bend; don’t water it down; don’t try to make it logical; don’t edit your own soul according to the fashion. – Franz Kafka
Ready to speak your truth?
When our throat chakra – which is located at the centre of our throat – is balanced, we are totally authentic, and feel free to express ourselves.
When it’s not, we might only say what we think people want to hear (instead of what’s true for us), and worry about being judged.
Our throat chakra is basically all about self-expression.
Opening up this chakra helps us to stop people-pleasing, and start speaking our truth.
Healing the throat chakra
The throat chakra (vishuddha in Sanskrit) is associated with authenticity, expression, and communication.
By working on expressing ourselves honestly without hurting other people and practicing deep listening, we can balance this energy centre.
The key is to speak our truth – with the intention of always being kind, compassionate, and considerate to others.
We can also:
- Chant (the mantra associated with the throat chakra is HUM)
- Try colour therapy (the colour associated with the throat chakra is blue)
- Use crystals (the crystals associated with the throat chakra are sapphire, blue topaz, and aquamarine)
When I focus on healing my throat chakra, I like to flex my vocal muscles by singing or chanting (out of tune, I might add). I also meditate using the technique below.
Throat chakra meditation practice
If you haven’t meditated before, check out The Ultimate Guide To Meditation For Beginners to get started.
In this practice, we’ll be connecting to our throat chakra, connecting to our authentic self, and preparing to speak our truth.
This meditation helps us to tune out the noise of other people’s expectations, and instead tune into our inner wisdom.
This practice is perfect for when we’re not quite feeling like we’re living our best life.
Here’s how to do it
Download the guided version of this meditation from my meditation library.
1. Sit in a comfortable position, set a timer for 5 minutes (or longer, if you like), and close your eyes or lower your gaze.
2. Start to focus on your breath. Notice if there’s any feeling of self-consciousness or inauthenticity present. Consciously set the intention to let this go.
3. Place your hand at your throat, slightly away from your body. Connect to this energy centre by moving your hand in a clockwise motion seven times, then make a gesture to remove all that’s blocking you, as if you’re throwing bad energy in the trash. Repeat three times.
4. Visualise a ball of blue light, in front of your throat chakra. Imagine it entering your body at the centre of your throat, and gently filling your body with truth, honesty, and authenticity.
5. Affirm, “I am authentic. I am free to be myself. I speak my truth.” Continue to affirm and feel the glowing blue light pulsing through your body, until your practice ends.
Bonus tip: repeat the affirmation throughout your day, especially when you notice an urge to people-please surface.