Ready to indulge in the best night’s sleep you’ve ever had? This 15 minute sleep meditation will help you rest, relax, and succumb to a deep slumber.
I lie there, willing myself to fall asleep.
I’m so frustrated. I can’t stop thinking; my brain is completely wired, and adrenaline’s pumping through my body.
I just want to sleep, dammit.
And the longer I’m awake, the more exhausted I’ll feel tomorrow.
Can you relate?
It’s so hard when we’re desperate to sleep… but our body has other ideas.
My own personal fix is to meditate in bed, and allow myself to surrender to sleep.
Meditation puts our body into a deep state of rest, hence why so many people fall asleep when they meditate.
It’s the perfect solution to a restless night.
Why we find it hard to sleep
When we’re feeling stressed or anxious, our mind can feel way too busy.
Even if our body is physically tired, our mind still runs the show – keeping us up by worrying about what’s going to happen tomorrow, or ruminating about what happened today.
If we want to sleep better, it’s also important for us to take steps to reduce stress on a holistic level.
A few simple relaxation suggestions include:
- Breathing exercises
- Yoga, or gentle stretching
- Lavender oil (on yourself or on the pillow)
- Daily meditation
- “No screen” rules in certain areas of the house, e.g. in the bedroom
- A clean, clutter-free environment
Slumber: 15 minute sleep meditation practice
If you haven’t meditated before, check out The Ultimate Guide To Meditation For Beginners to get started.
In this practice, we’ll be slowing down, relaxing, and getting ready to rest.
This meditation helps us wind down, even when our mind is still busy and active. When we’re feeling restless, it helps us refocus our attention, and enter a deep sleep.
This practice is perfect as part of a daily sleep routine, especially when you’re already in bed.
Here’s how to do it
Download the guided version of this meditation from my meditation library.
1. Get into bed, making sure you’re ready to go to sleep, and close your eyes.
2. Take 5 deep breaths, in through your nose, and out through your mouth. Inhale for a count of 5, hold for a count of 5, and exhale for a count of 7.
3. Repeat the following phrases in your mind, “I am completely relaxed. It’s safe for me to let go. I surrender to deep, nourishing rest.”
4. Replay your day in your mind’s eye, on fast-forward. See yourself waking up, eating breakfast, and performing all the day’s activities. When you get to the present moment, allow yourself to let go of the day.
5. Consciously relax each part of your body, beginning with your toes, and ending with the muscles in your face. Switch them off, one by one. Allow yourself to drift off completely, or repeat the steps as needed.
Download your FREE stress-melting pep talk meditation
Melt stress and boost your mood in less than 5 minutes
PLUS get exclusive access to my free Unplug, Unwind & Recharge e-book