Ready to reconnect with your authentic self? Add a new dimension to your meditation practice with this yummy full moon meditation.
I have a bit of a thing about the moon.
I just love looking at it. I’m totally mesmerised by it.
Every time I see it, I elbow whoever I’m with and say “oh look at the moon, it’s soooo pretty!” (yep, I’m that person. I do the same when the sky goes pink, too #sorrynotsorry).
It wasn’t until quite recently that I realised there might be an actual reason for this.
Turns out, us female-types are pretty connected to the moon, since our bodies also have a natural cycle that cleanses and rejuvenates us.
The full moon is when we’re at our most energetic, making it the perfect time to:
- Initiate new projects
- Take serious action
- Identify and overcome obstacles
- Release all that no longer serves us
- Reassert our intentions
The full moon gives us an opportunity to get loud and proud about what we’re doing with our lives.
Moving in the right direction
The full moon is a great time to pause, breathe, and assess our direction.
When we’re super busy, we mostly focus on what tasks need to get done. We dash from one activity to the next, proactively ticking things off our “to-do” list.
But every now and again, we need to evaluate whether we’re doing the right things.
The full moon allows us to reflect on whether our projects, or our priorities, need to change.
It’s also a great excuse to dive deeper into our spiritual practice, and make it a monthly ritual.
As well as meditating, I tend to:
- Burn incense or sage
- Do a moon salutation yoga practice
- Pull chakra cards
- Cleanse my crystals
- Journal about my reflections
The focus of all of these practices is to check in with myself; to notice what’s really true for me.
Full moon meditation practice
If you haven’t meditated before, check out The Ultimate Guide To Meditation For Beginners to get started.
In this practice, we’ll be reflecting, rejuvenating, and restoring ourselves with juicy full moon energy.
This meditation helps us to get clear on what we truly want, and whether we’re heading in the right direction (or if we might need to make some changes).
This practice is perfect as part of a monthly full moon ritual; especially if we’re feeling lost, confused, and uncertain.
Here’s how to do it
Download the guided version of this meditation from my meditation library.
1. Sit or lie down in a comfortable position, set a timer for 5 minutes (or longer, depending on how long you’d like to practice for), and close your eyes or lower your gaze.
2. Visualise the full moon glowing above you. Imagine the moonlight streaming down upon you, filling your body with light, and cleansing you of all that no longer serves you.
3. Ask yourself: What’s true for me right now? What’s nourishing me? What’s depleting me? What do I need to let go of? What is my heart calling me to do?
4. Allow whatever arises. Notice if any particular thoughts, emotions, or physical sensations come up for you. Try not to evaluate them, just simply observe.
5. Reconnect to the moonlit glow in your body, and feel your inner light glowing brightly. Allow the light to gently expand, until it floods your entire being.
Optional: grab a journal, and write down any insight you have. If you decide to practice another full moon meditation – or you practice on the new moon – come back to these notes, and compare them with how life has unfolded.